Saturday, May 07, 2005

JOURNAL 2

Sunday 18 April 2004 (continued)

Today the pilot came by helicopter. Just before the helicopter came, the helicopter pilot's voice blared over the radio:

"What is your speed and position?"

Oleg, the Chief Engineer, was there taking photos with his digital camera from the flying bridge. I did multiple shots from within the bridge. The pilot was let gently down on a rope to the hatch cover of hold number two. This was one of the highlights of the trip.

One of the first nights out on the Pacific, I received a knock on my door. A crewman was there asking me to close my window curtain facing the bow. I told him that I would do it later when I went to bed. He then explained that the light from my cabin window was causing a glare on the bridge. This glare impaired their night vision.

The pilot who came by helicopter kept giving course directions to Angel, the helmsman. If the pilot said 005, Angel would repear it as a confirmation -- just like in the movies. I pointed to the machine that signals the engine room to stop, speed up, slow down or go in reverse. The captain said it was pretty much all automated now. This pilot stayed with us for the 96 mile trip up the Columbia River to Vancouver WA. The captained stayed up too until we docked at 0100.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home