Saturday, May 07, 2005

JOURNAL 3

Monday 19 April 2004

In a light drizzle they unloaded the plywood using 1/2 ton forklifts which took longer than those in Long Beach. I spent the day listening to an all classical radio station. I also took morning and afternoon coffee breaks with the officers and walked on the boat deck and accommodation deck for an hour.

After the unloading was done, a pilot took us into the middle of the Columbia River and we dropped anchor. A Foss tug came by and this made me think of Orville and Leonard Sund who worked for Foss years ago. They were my father's cousins from Tacoma who came east for duck hunting.

It is Monday night and we are sitting in the middle of the river. Tomorrow the hatch or hold inspectors to approve our readiness to take on grain in Portland.

The second engineer came down and showed me photos of his beautiful wife and family. We talked for some time about his country, Sri Lanka, which had once been Ceylon and a British colony. Before that it was called Siam and they made a movie about it called the "King and I".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home